Friday, November 20, 2015

Friday 5- Turkey day edition!

Hooray for Friday!! I'm sure some of you luckies have all next week off!  I don't, but then again, I don't have to get an entire house and Thanksgiving meal ready either.  So I guess it's OK :)
Since the big day is next week, I wanted to make this week's Friday 5 all about Thanksgiving!

Favorite Thanksgiving side dish
Green bean casserole!!  I know some people think it's disgusting and not traditional Thanksgiving, but I don't care!!  It's the only time of year I eat it and it's delicious!  C'mon, how can you NOT like those little french fried onions?!
A close 2nd is my aunts homemade rolls... they are SOOO delicious.  I could eat a dozen of them at a time!


Favorite Thanksgiving tradition
Saying the Lord's Prayer with the entire family before we eat


Favorite Thanksgiving memory
Last year we had about a foot of snow at Thanksgiving.  After dinner, we all walked over to the big hill on my parent's property and the boys went sledding.  I even went down once or twice myself! The boys had so much fun, and we had so much fun watching them!  As a kid, my friends and I had such a great time sledding down that hill over and over.  Seeing my boys experience the same joy I did as a child truly warmed my heart.  I do have to say though, the walk back UP the hill was much easier at 8 years old than it was at 38!





Favorite Thanksgiving dessert
Well, we always have pies for dessert and typically I'm not a huge pie fan.  However, for the last few years I have brought the pies to Thanksgiving so I've tried to spice it up a little from the typical apple and pumpkin.  Last year I brought a chocolate cream pie that was divine!!  This year I'm bringing an apple pie, a cookies & cream pie, and a cheesecake pie!  I cannot wait to try the cheesecake pie (no, I don't make the pies.  I order them from a local bakery.  I tried making a pie once.  It wasn't a good scene).
Oh- question for you... did you ever have a mincemeat pie????  When I was a kid, we ALWAYS had a mincemeat pie and my grandmother was the only one ever ate it.  What exactly is mincemeat anyway??

Yum

??????

Favorite place to spend Thanksgiving
My parent's house.  My mom began hosting Thanksgiving when I was around 7.  She has hosted every year since.  I don't think I have missed a single one!  I can't imagine Thanksgiving anywhere else!



To all my friends and readers... I wish you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!!  

Linking up with:

8 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I remember spending Thanksgivings at my Grandma's and loving it. All the family stuff has fallen away for us as its just this tiny family of my own but I will cherish those memories I have. Chocolate pie is my ALL TIME favorite! Oh and just for you, love: Last year while we ate our meal it was snowing, by the time we go to the tree farm there were about 8-10 inches on the ground....it was hell. BUT for the first time in a very long time....I enjoyed it. xoxoxoxo have a fabulous weekend hugs from your girl in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and delicious (I'm drooling over here - lol) post!! Wishing you and your beautiful family a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
    xo - Brenda // Chatting Over Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to the first two.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide what my favorite thanksgiving side dish is... probably stuffing! I like pumpkin pie for dessert. I have never had mincemeat pie! I'm going to look it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mincemeat pie? I don't even know what that is! I'm a little afraid to find out lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like we are SO similar, wow! Seriously, Green Bean Casserole (or as I call it, GBC) is my FAVORITE dish. All about The Lord's Prayer at Thanksgiving, my favorite place is my parent's house, and chocolate cream pie? Yes, please! What a great list. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMM Nom! Green Bean Casserole!!! Its just a classic!!! I totally relate on the mincemeat pie! My Dad was the only one that ate it growing up. My favorite dessert growing up was Indian Pudding, its a old New England Classic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am making Green Bean Casserole too, and I can't wait :)
    Chocolate cream or French Silk Pie are my absolute favorites at Thanksgiving!!
    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete