Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Easter Traditions


I love hearing about everyone's holiday traditions, so today I thought I'd share our family Easter traditions with you.

Easter Sunday starts out very early.  I typically get the kids up no later than 7am to go find the Easter baskets that the bunny left for them (I LOVE putting their baskets together!  I love picking the perfect basket and lots of fun items to go inside).  After a quick perusal of the baskets, we get dressed and head out the door by 7:30 to make it to my aunt's house in time for the 9am egg hunt and breakfast.  


Our family Easter egg hunt has been a tradition for as long as I can remember.  When I was little, my Grandmother hosted the egg hunt followed by a big Easter dinner. Then eventually my aunt took over and switched to a breakfast.  Now let me tell you, this egg hunt isn't just for kids.  It's for adults too! The eggs are filled with candy, money and stamps.  There are also a couple special "big" eggs with an extra special prize inside. This has always been one of my favorite parts of Easter!  


After all the eggs have been found, we head inside for breakfast.  We have pretty much the same menu every year...  Scrambled eggs with bacon, scrambled eggs with sausage, pancakes (my uncle makes the best pancakes!), ham, bagels and toast, mini donuts, muffins and fruit. Oh, and my dad's homemade maple syrup!  There are typically around 18-20 of us and always a TON of food. I am usually stuffed for the rest of the day!  


We hang out with the family until mid afternoon and then head home.  The kids play with their Easter basket treasures and all the other goodies they received throughout the day.  Dinner is usually nothing special...  just something quick and easy.

Despite the fact that it's about an hour and a half drive to where my family lives, I try to make the trip every Easter.  I love our traditions and I want my kids to experience them too.  It's also one of the few times the entire extended family is together.  And really, it's not like I would be sleeping in on Easter anyway (or any other random Sunday)... I have kids!  :)  


What are your Easter traditions?  Tell me all about them in the comments!  I can't wait to hear all about them!





3 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your Easter traditions! The adult and kid egg hunt sounds really wonderful. Do you have them color coded so you know which ones are which? That is awesome that your Dad makes his own maple syrup! The bunny visits our house and we have an egg hunt and baskets. You are inspiring me to do something bigger though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great Easter. We get up pretty early too. The kids are too excited to sleep, and they normally get up around 6:30 am anyways. I love making the baskets too, and they hunt eggs in the living room since it's usually cold outside every Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our little guy gets us up around 7AM. The eggs we colored the night before are hidden around the house. Then he has to find those. After that, comes Easter brunch, then it's outside to find the plastic eggs with all the goodies in them!

    ReplyDelete